How much can be built from source?

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

How much can be built from source?

Postby sandeen » Tue 27. Jan 2009, 04:05

Hi, I'd like to see about getting your software properly packaged for Fedora, specifically irserver, and perhaps irclient as well. I am specifically interested in the support this offers for my combined VFD display + receiver board in for example the Ahanix multimedia cases.

I've read that someone from Ubuntu already looked into this:
https://answers.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+question/9131

From looking at the irserver.tar.gz, it appears that there is one pre-built object file, ccf.o. I also see that there is a "noccf.c" file which returns -1 for DecodeCCF(). The above URL references some binary code that is firmware; however, this does not seem to be what is in ccf.o, unless I misunderstand.

Can you explain how much of irserver and/or irclient is not buildable from source, but is instead shipped as a binary "blob" of one sort or another?

Thanks,
-Eric
sandeen

Re: How much can be built from source?

Postby IRTrans » Tue 27. Jan 2009, 11:37

Hi,
only ccf.o is shipped as binary. It is the code needed to convert Philips Pronto CCF Codes into the IRTrans format.

All the rest is available as source code. If you use noccf.c the Pronto conversion will not be included at all.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby sandeen » Wed 28. Jan 2009, 05:10

Thanks; since I'm new at this; can you explain briefly what a Philips CCF code is, or perhaps point me somewhere I can read up?

Will the remote receiver work at all, with any remotes, without this?

Was the assertion by the Ubuntu folks that there is some firmware shipped in the software incorrect, then?

Thanks,
-Eric
sandeen

Postby IRTrans » Wed 28. Jan 2009, 12:13

Hi,
CCF is a format for IR Codes defined by Philips for their Pronto remotes. If you do not have it you cannot use these codes,
however you can learn and send any IR Codes using the IRTrans system.

The ccf.c file indeed uses some parts of the firmware sourcecode, therefore it is not available as sourcecode.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Postby sandeen » Fri 30. Jan 2009, 03:22

Great, thank you for this info. I'll try to dig into the code a bit to understand more.

I appreciate your quick answers!

-Eric
sandeen

Return to Software